Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Zero Day -2

    May 2, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Well, we've spent the last two weeks getting the RV set up for us to travel with all the stuff we're going to need and it looks like we are there! Last goodbyes to the kids tomorrow and a last goodbye to our dance buddies at The Dirty Bourbon tomorrow night, then we will get up Friday morning and take off East. First stop Amarillo for one night, then on to Oklahoma City for a week. I hope you will all go along with us and that I can keep you entertained!

    We had casually talked about taking an RV to see all the country for many years, but when we discovered how much we enjoyed RV-ing, coupled with my need to hang up my stethoscope because I was just too damned old to work like a dog anymore, we decided it was time. Another issue was that we moved to Albuquerque to give the kids here five years or so before moving to someplace in Texas (cue the Tanya Tucker song, “Texas When I Die”). We ended up giving them 9 years! 

    In any event, the time had come to sell the house and move on, so we bought the RV last year and put the house up for sale in November. We closed on our house April 19, to JR and Emily Shaw who turned out to be Bob Jagla's niece. Bob is a retired nurse I knew from Presbyterian Hospital and we used to walk with him at the mall every day--we really hit it off with JR and Emily and celebrated the closing with them at Ruth's Chris. It was totally cool to sell to someone who saw it as their dream house!

    The timing worked out perfectly however. The weather North and East of here has finally broken and Spring has sprung! I had my heart set on Branson, Mall of America, Chicago, Cleveland (Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame), Canton, Ohio (Football Hall of Fame), Niagara Falls, Cooperstown, NY (Baseball Hall of Fame), New York City, and points South, so this is where we head to first. I am officially excited!

    Getting the RV ready for two people with TONS of stuff was no easy task. We pretty much bought out The Container Store! Arranging it so we could access what we needed while preserving room to walk around and the dogs to stretch out, without looking like the Joad family from Grapes of Wrath was top priority! 

    The video shows how it looks. This is the best it's gonna get so let's get this adventure started!!

    https://youtu.be/Rwot5zTxmj0
    Read more