Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 643

    South Texas, Jan 30,2020

    January 23, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    HERB & MARTHA NEWMAN TRAVEL BLOG UPDATE, January 30, 2020

    Hello all!

    I hope each and every one of you are able to find at least one good thing every day to be grateful for and one thing that gives you joy and wonder. If they are the same thing, even better!

    When I last wrote, we had just arrived in Corpus Christi NAS, TX. We actually spent a pleasant week there. The RV Park is right on Corpus Christi Bay, about 20 yds from where we parked.

    After our sojourn at the Navy base, which while pleasant and cheap, we moved on to South Texas—specifically the Rio Grande Valley which is comprised by several medium to small towns: Brownsville, Harlingen, Donna, McAllen, where we took up residence in several Encore and Coast-to-Coast parks which are part of the Thousand Trails & Colorado River Adventure RV Resorts where we are able to stay with zero money outlay. Their only caveat is that you can only stay for a limited time, so we have to migrate every couple of weeks or so.

    The weather here is wonderful! High temps are 65°-85° and lows run from 48°-60°. The area is a big draw to Midwesterners and various Canadians who are known as “Winter Texans” I saw one car whose Indiana car license plate was WINTERTXN!

    TBH, I think we should keep this a secret between us since I gather from the frequent negative comments from the legions of Thousand Trails members complaining about not being able to find spaces in Florida and we don’t need them complicating our winter sojourns!

    After our first 2 weeks at Tropic Winds RV Park in Harlingen, we went 30 miles south to River Bend Golf Resort which is a planned community built on the banks of the Rio Grande. It’s mostly houses and “Park Models”, but they have RV sites kind of interspersed among them.

    Yelp said that Brownsville’s Gladys Porter Zoo was a tiny gem, and Yelp was so right! Clean, and nicely laid out, the animals look to have plenty of room.

    We are now back at Tropic Winds RV Resort and will be here for a couple of weeks.

    Until next time.

    Herb and Martha had a day at the Gladys Porter Zoo.
    Read more