Satellite
  • Day 202

    Fraser Island

    October 18, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    From Sydney we started our travels up the coast. Our first stop was Byron Bay, the surf capital of Australia. None of us had surfed before so we decided to get a beginners lesson. It was great fun even though I spent most of the time falling off!
    Next stop was Brisbane - here we visited Australia zoo (Steve Irwins zoo) the highlight was definitely holding Koalas and feeding Kangaroos.
    We then headed to Rainbow beach where we started a three day tour of Fraser Island. Unfortunately this is where the rain started (more on this on my next blog post.... it has been never ending!). Despite the rain we had a great time. To get around the island you had to drive 4x4s along the beach (which acted as the main road for the island) so there was lots of getting stuck in the sand and splashing in the sea. We visited lots of pretty places and the famous ship wreck. On the way home it took an hour to drive back to the boat and we were driving as fast as possible as the tide was coming in. In the end we only had a couple of meters between the sea and the end of the beach - 10 more minutes and we wouldnt have made it! Safe to say our guide was getting a little nervous at this point and kept telling us to drive faster over the walky talkies!
    Read more