Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Crater Lake Stop

    May 26, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    After our visit to the zoo, we drove from Portland to Diamond Lake. The lake is right above Crater Lake. We stayed at Diamond Lake RV Park. The RV park was very nice and amongst the trees and snow (Lisa’s favorite place we camped). That night we hung out outside under the awning as it was sprinkling a bit. We sat around the propane fire pit and listened to music. Declan smashed cans and learned how to pop the top of an empty water bottle. Cory and Lisa had some Klinker Brick Wine. Cory found it at the grocery store and bought it because he knew it was one of John’s favorite wines. John would have liked the campsite, music, and wine. It was a nice evening.

    Friday morning we headed to Crater Lake National Park. It took us about an hour to get to Rim Village where we viewed the lake. We arrived at around 9:30am and got the last RV parking spot. We got our warm clothes on as it was pretty chilly outside and then headed to the viewing wall. The view of the lake was quite stunning as the snow covered the surrounding rim. The skies were very clear, which was lucky as sometimes the lake can be completely hidden by clouds. We walked around a bit and Declan enjoyed walking around in the snow. We then went to the gift shop to get some souvenirs. We had lunch in the RV in the parking lot then headed to Mount Shasta. By the time we were leaving the fog had rolled in so the view of the lake was not very clear. We were lucky to view Crater Lake when we did.
    Read more