Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Monterosso -> Vernazza -> Corniglia

    April 9, 2018 in Italy ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    The forecasted rain promptly delivers. We embrace the cold and wet and are set up to do our first hike. By the time we get to the starting point, we decide to do a detour to check out the town Center. Among the winding streets, we see a sign pointing for a wine tasting 100m up the road. With nothing to loose, we walk up the slippery wet track. Suddenly, we find ourselves in a vineyard surrounding with lemon groves. We spent €25 together and tasted 5 delicious local natural wines. Most of the wines are produced for local consumption; the so-called table wine.

    By the time we finish sampling, the sky opens up and there is a rain break. We merrily start tracking up and enjoy the beautiful scenery along the way. Later on, an English tourist asks us how was the track going up from Monterosso to Vernazza; apparently it is not an easy one. We simply can not remember other than I am trying hard to walk slowly to keep my heart rate down!

    Australia certainly has similar tracks and views as this famous track, however, the ambient is what makes it a different. The villages are tugged between headlands or built on top of it. The ancient fortified walls and towers are visible from far away. The track we are walking on is surrounding by wineries and olive trees under the occasional beams from the sun. Europe is always so romantic!

    The weather becomes better in the evening. We are wondering Corniglia, the smallest village, and is looking for a restaurant on trip advisor. As faith would have it, we found this restaurant that is ranked number one but would have closed. We quickly put in our booking, go down to enjoy the vast sea view at sunset before settling in for a sumptuous seafood dinner! We eat the most amount of food (3 courses) and drink a bottle of wine between us. We do not reach home till 11pm!

    A wet and rainy day turns out to be a joy that is filled with all these unpredictable event! Life is good.
    Read more