Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Highway 1

    September 5, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We left SF and we're keen to get on the road. Tonight's stop was Pismo Beach. But first we had Highway 1 and Monterey to visit!

    With it being Labor Day, the roads were busy but free flowing. Lots of people pulling off the road at various vista spots and beaches to make the most of the day off and the lovely weather!

    We arrived at Monterey about 2pm and visited the nearby tourist centre for some recommendations. We only had 2 hours of parking so we made a stop at Tavern Melville for a club sandwich (obviously!) before heading around the corner to Stevenson House!

    This is where Robert Louis Stevenson spent about 3 months waiting for the woman he loved to divorce her husband. He became quite the local figure, telling stories in the taverns and writing newspaper articles.

    A quick few photos here before getting back on the road again. Highway 1 is not for the faint hearted to drive. It's seriously windey. But it's beautiful. Admittedly the sheer cliff drops make for some uncomfortable momenta but the scenery is incredible.

    We also stopped at the aptly-named Elephant Seal Beach!

    We arrived at our hotel is Pismo Beach about 9pm before finding a pool hall with freshly made pizzas, a few beers and a decent soundtrack (read: Adam happy)
    Read more