Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Homeward-bound

    September 12, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    An early and quick breakfast before dashing up to the USS Midway (aircraft carrier/museum)

    It's an absolute enormous beast of the ship, built in 1945 and decommissioned in 1992 and absolutely fascinating. Again, another audio tour brings the ship to life (even if you have zero interest in this sort of thing.)

    A dash back to the hotel to check out and move our bags to the car before we walked up to the Gaslamp Quarter, home to San Diego's restaurants, bars and nightlife. A detour into Hard Rock Cafe to pick up the last of the shots glasses for Adam's collection before a quick shopping trip to Westfield(!) for trainers for Adam (no such luck!)

    And for our last trip.... Kansas City BBQ. A tiny restaurant/bar situated next to our hotel which features heavily in Top Gun. Adam wore his Maverick t-shirt which was loved by the staff. We're ordered sandwiches and fries and ate quickly so we could have photos taken at the piano - Goose played 'Great Balls of Fire' here in the movie. We purchased a couple of T-shirts and the staff gave us some postcards for our scrapbook. I don't think I've ever seen Adam so happy. Food is mediocre btw!

    Because we didn't manage to get any decent pictures of charlie's house when we arrived, Adam wanted to go back, which we did. Parked up, jumped out and took some photos then back in the car again! An hour's journey each way for 3 mins of photos! Madness!

    A short drive to the car rental drop off before heading to check in. We knew the flight was slightly delayed after getting an alert on our phones. We were really excited about flying back in Club World, a new experience for us! We decided to make the most of the perks and use the lounge, which wasn't anything to write home about except the free alcohol and food!

    We had been allocated seats across the aisle from each other, but a nice guy, travelling alone, offered to swap with me so we could sit closer together!

    A glass of champagne, dinner was good, but made me very sleepy so put the bed flat and fell asleep!! woohoo!! I have no idea what time I went to sleep but I think I must have slept for 4/5 hours because 30 minutes after I woke, they were serving breakfast! I ordered an omelette but couldn't get through it. Overly salty.

    Then that's it, we landed. Passport control and baggage collection done!

    Hometime :)

    What. A. Trip!
    Read more