Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Vezely and Golf Chateau de Chailly

    September 15, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Thursday: VEZELY. Most people have heard of the pilgrims way Camino de Santiago but there are many routes that originate in Europe that feed into the Pyrenees and then onto to Spain. One of these commences in VEZELY at the Basilique Ste-Madeleine in Burgundy. A massive former abbey church it sits atop a hilly outcrop that is visible for miles around as you approach - you enter a walled medieval village and wend your way up the narrow streets, past the pilgrims hostel, to the church. Built in 858, it became a place of pilgrimage in 882 when a relic of Mary Magdalene was sent from Provence - you can see the relic in the photo in the crypt - zoom in and see what you think - clavicle, ulna? Visitors of note in history include Richard the Lionheart and Thomas Beckett - to be standing in a place that legendary figures have been is a bit surreal.
    Friday: Golf Hotel Chateau du Chailly. This 12th century chateau has been refurbished to include a 18 hole golf course and we have been staying in a self contained apartment in the grounds. We played the course today which was challenging and enjoyable (because I won!) then a swim in the pool, jacuzzi and sauna. Finished the day with a Chefs table dinner with just us four in the cave (cellar) with a special menu from the chef - best meal yet - absolute stunning presentation, imagination and flavour - we all agreed one of the best meals we’ve ever had (and we’ve had a few with Peter and Vanessa) - from the pate emulsion in a pastry biscuit topped with local smoked duck to the Brest chicken roulade filled with confit chicken thigh to an aniseed meringue it was outstanding.
    Another couple of wonderful sunny days in Burgundy - one more to go before we head further south to St Etienne and more Rugby. Quite noticeable all the French around here are very rugby aware and enthusiastic - a great atmosphere.
    Read more