Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Beaune take 2

    September 16, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌩️ 24 °C

    We returned to Beaune today for the Saturday market day - 150 stalls of produce and handicrafts - seventh heaven for Jane! As expected amazing wheels of cheeses, colourful olives and tapenades, fresh oysters etc etc!
    The other reason was to visit the jewel in the crown of Beaune - the Hotel-Dieu which was established in the mid 15th C by a generous chancellor of Beaune to provide free medical care for the poor of the city, run by nuns and doctors and supported by grants from the aristocracy - an incredible socialist initiative far ahead of its time. It took paying rich patients as well to supplement it’s income. The patients were housed in one great hall and you can see the beds lined along the walls. The stunning roofs of multi coloured tiles are famous as well. What’s more amazing is that it remained the general hospital of Beaune (albeit with obvious changes in medical and nursing techniques) until 1972!
    We returned home via the village of Chateauneuf which had a castle dating from the 11th C and can be seen on the hill like a castle from a film set. This is also on the pilgrims trail leading to Spain.
    Last day in Burgundy - off to St Etienne tomorrow.
    Read more