Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Ang Thong Marine Park, Koh Samui

    July 2, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 29 °C

    From Koh Samui, we booked a boat tour to Ang Thong National Marine Park which is a 102 square kilometre area consisting of 42 islands. Its national park status ensures that development has remained minimal with all but one of the islands being uninhabited.

    We were picked up at 7am to be taken to the pier for the boat tour. Looking at the docked boats rocking, the sea was rough. Onboard it was a bit rocky to begin with but we soon became used to it without and sickness thank goodness. Our tour guide was super friendly and had brilliant English. Even far more impressive was the fact she could speak another 6 languages, switching between languages whilst speaking to different groups of people with ease.

    After just over an hour and a half on the boat, we arrived at the National Marine Park where we had the opportunity to kayak around for 40 minutes and visit the stunning Emerald Lagoon. After lunch, we then stopped in a different area and trekked up to the National Park’s famous viewpoint. Yet again another uphill trek in the humidity. We seem to like picking the more challenging activities although both agreed this was certainly not quite as intense as Tiger Cave temple. The trek was worth it for more beautiful views and as a geographer Jess was in her element! Looking out over the horizon, the natural beauty of the green and rocky islands emerging from the blue ocean was like something straight from a poster. After a far easier hike back down, we enjoyed a quick swim in the sea before getting ready to return to Koh Samui. A relaxing trip on the boat's deck back to mainland, then it was time for a street food curry dinner and cocktails on the beach front to end the day.
    Read more