Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Route 1095, Chiang Mai to Pai

    July 13, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    After hearing such good things about Pai and the opportunity to get there via a well renowned bike route (route 1095), we couldn’t resist a trip despite being a little short on time. Taking approximately 3 hours (in the dry), route 1095 has 762 turns, hairpins and corners weaving through the beautiful northern Thailand mountain range.

    We collected our bikes the night before, both deciding to rent a slightly bigger and much more comfortable 150cc scooter, with the intention to set off nice and early, however the heavens opened. Hoping the rain would pass we held on, but without such luck we eventually poncho’d up and set off. Unfortunately the rain decided to follow us so we now had a real challenge on our hands. On the plus side, the roads were pretty empty. It rained almost the whole way there and we've never been so grateful for the ‘rain coat,' perhaps better described as a large plastic bag. Nevertheless this did prove to be extremely effective keeping us nearly completely dry. It certainly wasn’t the journey we envisaged, however we made it after about 4 hours in the wet.

    Despite the wet ride, we were so glad we didn’t let the rain put us off as Pai was just lovely! As soon as we arrived we checked into our hotel and then visited the crystal clear waters of the natural Sai Noam Hot Spring. Later that evening we walked to the local, quirky night market with stalls that lined the main street of the town. Not bypassing the opportunity to try more delicious food, we sampled the traditional Northern Thai dish Khao Soi before having another Thai massage. Pai is only a small town but has a really young vibe with lots of stalls and quirky bars and cafes.

    This was only a flying visit to Pai as the following morning we checked out Pai canyon before riding back to Chiang Mai. Fortunately the rain held off for the return journey making for a great ride with stunning views we could now enjoy. It was certainly far easier and more enjoyable riding in the dry! A fantastic trip and that is one ride that won’t be forgotten.

    This evening we are heading by coach to Chiang Rai!
    Read more