Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 26

    White, Blue & Black Temples, Chiang Rai

    15. juli 2022, Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    After a 3 hour bus journey from Chiang Mai we arrived in Thailand’s most northern city of Chiang Rai, just in time to look around the night markets once again. We ordered a hotpot sharer for dinner, although weren't quite sure what to do after being given a load of fresh ingredients and raw meats/seafood on a platter, nor how long the ingredients needed to be cooked for. It was a bit of faff which involved some guessing, however like most new things we were glad we tried it although would pass next time.

    The following morning we hopped on the scooter to explore some of the infamous temples - the White Temple, Blue Temple and Black Houses, each stunning in their own way. The White temple was so unbelievably detailed, covered with white decorations and a mosaic of mirrors on the exterior, yet modern fictional characters were painted all over the inside. Dan wrote a message for good luck on a steel leaf to be hung among the millions of other messages lining the ceilings of covered walkways around the temple. The 40 black houses were spread across a complex and were filled with various strange and disturbing artefacts, typically animal bones. Nowadays this ground is more reminiscent of a museum although does of course have a history. Afterwards we rode out to explore Big Buddha of Chiang Rai standing 90m tall. This was by far the biggest Buddha we've seen yet and the views from the top looking over Chiang Rai and surrounding mountains were awesome. To top it all off, the weather was very hot today with lots of sunshine. Unlike the majority of bikers who were covered head to toe, we scootered around in shorts and a t-shirt but were still melting!

    After a long day, we fancied a change in cuisine opting for Italian pizza and pasta and although still really good, it didn't compare to local, flavorsome Thai food we've grown to love. Chiang Rai bars and pubs were quiet compared to other places visited so far, however we did meet another couple in a reggae bar who we spent the night chatting to and exchanging stories. Although only a short stay, Chiang Rai had some of the most amazing temples we've ever seen and perhaps even the best we will see on our travels, they really were beautiful.

    We're flying to Bangkok in the morning. This will be a very different and far more intense experience than the places we've travelled so far but we’re really looking forward to it!
    Les mer