Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Menaggio

    April 30, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 54 °F

    Every trip has to have a minimum of one day like today. The positive: we learned a lot! The negative: seems like everything went wrong. We decided to take the "hop on hop off" ferry, the system that goes all over the lake. Just to check out some of towns on the other side of the lake that we have not driven through yet. Arrived too late for the full lake ticket so had to take one that only included the "mid-lake" area. Turns out that was a good thing. First to Varenna - directly across the Lake from Menaggio. 15 minute ferry ride. Did a bit of exploring. Lots of shops, lakeside restaurants and very touristy busy. But lovely with the vegetation of spring and greenery in abundance. Then our plan was to go North to Bellano but got on the wrong ferry and went back to Menaggio. So tried for the next ferry to Bellano which had to go to Varenna first! Finally got to Bellano around 3:30 PM only to find out that the last ferry of the day leaves at 4:05PM. (and we had not yet had lunch)! So ate a quick panini and salad and got back on the ferry!!!
    wa
    So back in Menaggio we wanted to check out the starting point of a hike we want to take. Drove around the narrow streets and mountains surrounding Menaggio and finally found it only to find out we really cannot start there as there is no parking !!

    At this time Kay announces that we are not doing one more thing unless we have wine first. Then tried to find a place that we saw that we said would be a great place to have glass of wine. That took another 2 gallons of gas and 30 minutes. However the good news there was that the half bottle of wine was only 4 euros and it was good!!

    Back home for left over pasta dinner and a quiet rest of the day. Tomorrow will be better.

    Miles: 5.4
    Read more