Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Menaggio

    May 1, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    A sun and cloud day. We planned to do a 6.5 mile walk from Colona which is South of Menaggio about 5 miles. Decided to park our car in Griante -the next town South of us and take a bus to our starting point. This being May 1 and a holiday in most of Europe (their Labor Day), the buses were running on a Sunday schedule. :-( So we spent a lazy hour in a cafe watching the world go by in a beautiful place and waiting for the bus.

    An exciting bus ride. The road by the Lake is very narrow in spots and we have driven it more than and had to wait while a bus and another vehicle try to decide who goes first. This time we were in the bus. Came around the corner and there was another bus about 30 feet away !! Only room for one bus in that road so our bus driver gets out of the bus, organizes all of the traffic in back of us to one side of the road, gets back in the bus and backs that huge bus about 200-300 meters with not 6 inches on each side. It was amazing. The other bus goes through and we are on our way. Must have been 50 cars in back of us until all that was over. No wonder the buses in this area of the world do not run on time.
    Our hike/walk was great. Lots of uphill but not too bad. Much of the trail above the lake followed old Roman roads through fringes of towns and some meadows and lots of wildflowers. We found 2 geocaches along the way, one took awhile but we finally found it. Left our trackable found in Bodega Bay from Germany in one of the caches! Geocaching is so amazing by how it brings the world together. The trail led us down to lake level in time for lunch by the water in Lenno. A lovely lido and since it was a holiday, all the restaurants there were filled to capacity and we had to wait for a table. Great salad and pizza. Continued our walk to the end where we had parked our car.

    Home for left overs dinner and an evening of E-mail and quiet.

    Miles: 9.4
    Flights climbed: 59
    Read more