Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Menaggio

    May 4, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    A great day. Off this AM via ferry to Bellagio - the pearl of Lake Como. (according to the tourist information books). Bellagio is situated just across the one arm of the lake from us and we can see it lights every night. And, yes, George Clooney lives nearby. Bellagio is the more upscale area of the Lake and probably the most touristed place. We made a quick stop at the TI and got a walking tour of Bellagio and set out to see the town. Highlights were the tip of the town that juts out into Lake Como - the scenery spectacular with views of the Swiss Alps at the North end of the lake, the lake on both sides of you and the lovely Como coastline on both sides with villages dotted in the green mountains. We checked out a couple local churches, the town hall, and Villa Serbellino - a Rockefeller resort ! Then time for lunch by the Lake and on to the next ferry to Villa Carlotta, back on our side of the Lake near Menaggio.

    The Villa Carlotta is one of the more well-known of the many villas in this part of the world. It is right on the water. The villa is now a museum but best known for its terrific gardens. They are extensive and it being early May here, so much in bloom. Magnificent rhododendron, azaleas, and many smaller multicolored bedding plants. The gardens are really an aboretum as well. Trees from all over the world, including a bamboo forest along with a Japanese garden. We walked for an hour and have many flower pictures. Then a quick trip through the museum where there was also an art exhibit of an Italian artist who did a lot of tree art. We had arranged this time so as to be able to attend the concert at 5PM - a piano forte and sax/clarinet duo. It was great, loved the music that they played. Some light classical and some jazz.

    Then bus to our car, "grocery" shop for wine and home to make pork tenderloin for dinner. Then the power went out as we overloading the system with both the over and washing machine going at the same time. After an hour of back and forth with the management office, the lights finally came back on which it is now almost 10:30PM and the washing machine is still not finished!! Planned our Switzerland hike for tomorrow soon to bed.
    Read more