Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Menaggio

    May 5, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Amazing day!! Day dawned sunny with few clouds! Our plan today was to hike in Switzerland. Last night we looked on line for a hike around Lugano which is only about 45 minutes away. Found one and took off this AM for Lugano around 8:30. Found parking in Lugano close to our destination - Monte San Salvatore Funicular. Yes, we "cheated" a bit. We took the funicular to the top of the mountain which was spectacular. You could see 360 around Lake Lugano. This funicular was opened in 1890!! All to bring tourists to the area. A lovely restaurant that has a Michelin rating at the top. (Only in Switzerland). Lots of posters and history of the funicular - very interesting. After poking around there for an hour or so we started our hike downhill. The Swiss are real professionals on hiking and signage. All of the signs tell you - not the distance - but how long it takes to get from one place to another. Our trails was one of many that went done the spine of the peninsula that juts out into Lake Lugano. The first section of downhill was steep, rocky and I used my "sticks" for the first ime on this trip. After that we got to a small artist village - Carona - and found Coke Zeros and sat by the street to have our lunch.

    Talked with a Swiss couple who we had seen on the trail and were lunching as well Then a long path through the woods and a bit of pastureland until we reach our destination of Morote, Switzerland. We planned on either the ferry or bus back to Lugano. As luck would have it, there was a ferry in 20 minutes. Thought it would be a quick ride but as it turned out this ferry pretty much toured the Lake. About 1.5 hours later, we were back to our car. Nice way to unwind and the Swiss ferries have wine !!

    Home to make pasta for dinner, warm enough sit outside for cocktails and dinner. Talked briefly with our "neighbors" - the kids from Latvia. They are partying elsewhere tonight. :-) And
    we enjoyed our after dinner Limoncello.

    Miles: 9.7
    Read more