Satellite
  • Day 42

    Munich

    May 22, 2018 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    Up and out for another walking tour. Today to Dachau, a small city (around 50,000) only 12 miles from Munich. Its hard to decide if you "want" to go to a former concentration camp. Not exactly a fun activity while traveling. I had been to Auschwitz several years ago and afterwards was glad I had had the experience, this Dachau this time.

    The camp was similar to Auschwitz however I learned that Dachau was Labor Camp not an Extermination Camp as was Auschwitz. No gassing was done in Dachau - that is not to say that many were not killed, just not gassed The atrocities were just as horrible. But the labor force of the camp supported the Hitler war effort. Medical experiments carried out as well. The memorial is well done, depressing and thought provoking.

    The tour was most of the day. Unlike yesterday, the group was much larger - around 30. We left at 10:15 and back by 3:30. A walk through the market in Marienplatz, bought a bottle of French white for home consumption. Then back to "home" and off to the grocery store. Got supplies for the next 3 days. Home for an evening of planning and leftover pizza for dinner.

    Miles: 5.6
    Read more