Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Colombia Day 19

    August 14, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ 🌧 82 °F

    An overcast morning but off we go for our "beach" day to the islands. There are tons of boats that do beach trips every day but Flavia helped us find one that was less expensive than some and sent us pictures of the location which looked lovely. Took a taxi to the port and joined the hundreds of other vacationers off to the island beaches. "Our" island was a small island, Islabela, about an hour speed boat ride away. Got there by 10AM and it was lovely. Our boat held about 40 so we had the entire island for the day. Lovely setting with our own cabana and chairs and a lovely spot in the Caribbean to swim right in front of us. We were waited on for drinks as well. I had forgotten how much I like Mojitos which I had not had since I was in Cuba. They are excellent here as they are made with yerba buena instead of mint for a more subtle flavor.
    They had massages, snorkeling, and other activities as well. Lunch of grilled fish and rice included. Just lounged around, took a nap and swam whenever we wanted. A great relaxing day. Back to the mainland by 4PM and back to our bnb. Some catch up time and out to the plaza about 100m from our place for our last dinner together.
    A lazy day and my last in this wonderful spot in the world.
    I leave tomorrow night for home. ML and Robert going on to Minca, a town outside of Santa Marta in the jungle with great bird watching and jungle hikes. Wish I was going there as well but time to get home for camping next week - maybe depending on the fire situation.
    A walk after dinner for ice cream, coconut for me. Their coconut ice cream is chock full of coconut - coco palms everywhere around here.
    Read more