Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Morocco Day 9

    October 20, 2018 in Morocco ⋅ 🌙 68 °F

    Up for sunrise in the desert this AM again – much clearer today as the wind stopped yesterday afternoon so not as much sand in the air to block the sun. Off in our 4x4s and back to Erfoud to pick up our big bus and off to the west and the city of Quarzazate. Another long bus day, not a lot of mileage but many small towns to slow the bus. Several stops along the way: example of a centuries old irrigation system., a series of wells from the Anti Atlas Mountains about 100K away; an oasis area with beautiful farm land where each of the families in local village have a plot of land to farm for their own use and to trade with others; a beautiful valley nestled in the lowlands of the High Atlas Mountains. The major stop of the day was in the town of Tinejdad and a walk around the Ksar, fortified village. Here we also visited a museum dedicated to the Berber culture which was very interesting. Berbers were the first people in Morocco and are still about 70% of the populations. Berbers have their own language so a child begins by speaking Berber and learns Arabic in school. Mustafa, our guide, is a Berber and speaks 5 languages! Also, a lovely restaurant for lunch.

    Back on the bus to wend our way to Quarzazate. Hotel Berbere Place, lovely huge hotel all on one level with beautiful grounds. Wonderful buffet dinner in our hotel with some different foods tonight – hearts of palm, anchovies, sardines, smoked raw fish, etc.
    Read more