Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Alaska Day 7 Bellingham, WA

    July 13, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 66 °F

    Note: For this entire trip, internet will be intermittent. I am finding that I can do the text but need more power than most of the campgrounds have to edit and load pictures and videos. So lots of times, I will be entering the text but the pictures may come later.

    Destination today: Board the Ferry in Bellingham, WA at 3PM for a 6PM departure. We are ferrying from Bellingham WA to Whittier AK - the port for Anchorage. Breakfast in our "home" and then cleaning out the refrigerator as we will have minimal access to the RV during the 4 day ferry ride. Campground last night did not have laundry facilities, nor does the ferry so first stop today is a laundromat. Quite the place here, huge - must have 50 washers and dryers, internet, store to buy all the laundry supplies and an attendant. Great connection so catching up with all the pictures for the past few days.
    To the ferry. A short drive and we arrived around 2 PM. At out first check in spot they wanted us to turn off the propane in the RV. Alice was unsure how to do that so one of the gals from the ferry crew offered to help and proceeded to break the mechanism that held the door on. 😫. Lots of drama ensued but the ship people were very responsive. The fellow went to a local hardware store to get the part!
    As I looked around I did not see many cars lined up for boarding the ferry. The ferry hold 499 passengers plus crew. We asked one is the staff and were told that there are only 138 passengers leaving today! This was quite a pleasant surprise as we had expected it to be quite crowded.
    We boarded and found our cabin. We had reserved a 4 bed cabin on the outside as they were the only ones that had inside bathrooms. I am too old to be finding my way down a dark corridor in the middle of the night looking for the bathroom. 😖
    Our cabin is great for the 2 of us. Bunk beds, and a nice large porthole window. I cannot imagine 4 people in this room. We sat outside in the sunshine as we sailed. A really beautiful site. Wine and dinner. Made a new friend, Diane, who joined us for dinner. We are on our way!
    Read more