Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Alaska Day 29 Fairbanks

    August 4, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    Starting the 5th week of our trip. After Fairbanks, everything will bring us closer to home. (Now about 3,000 miles away) 😅. Plan today was to do to the State Fair however we woke up to rain so will put that off for awhile. Off to the highly recommended Morris Cultural and Visitors Center. A great stop, much more than a visitor center. Tons of information, knowledgeable staff, excellent exhibits on the different native tribes of Alaska and an excellent movie on bears. Lots of art, sculptures in a very modern building. We spent a couple hours there.
    A stop for lunch at the Fudge Pot, weather has cleared so off to the Tanana Valley State Fair.
    What fun! A midway with all of the usual games and stuffed teddies to win. All kinds of food and tons of exhibits. We went to a "fahion show" which was hilarious. It was a sewing competition divided into age groups. The first 11 year old had made a skirt for her sister who was the model. (About 6). The judges went thru the whole routine, quarter turns, deliberation, and the final vote. The sister got the blue ribbon!! She was ecstatic, jumping up and down. 😂. Then they said, that was the only entry in this age group!!! 🤣🤣🤣. Hoping someone tells her that story when she is 21.
    Gave up on the fair and home for cocktail hour and a walk to a restaurant nearby for dinner. Excellent King crab cakes, maybe the best I have ever had. Alice had stroganoff and liked hers as well. Another good day.
    Read more