Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Innsbruck to Stubai Valley Day 26

    May 21, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 57 °F

    A travel day, although not far. Leaving our lovely apartment outside of Innsbruck. Packed up and out by 10A. Our final destination is only about 15 miles away in the Stubai Valley south of Innsbruck

    Spent the better part of 3 hours at Schloss Ambras, a castle overlooking Innsbruck. The castle was built in the 1500’s and was a gift from Archduke Ferdinand II to his new wife, Philippine. I sort of thought I was “done” with castles a few European trips ago however this one was different and very interesting. Ferdinand was a collector of all things art and curiosities. This claims to be the first museum in history. His collection was extensive with all kinds of lovely Renaissance pieces. Not so much art as “things”. He was clearly a lover of beauty. The museum had lots of techs films, screens to check out and terrific grounds with big trees, benches, a pond with black swans and lots of fish. We enjoyed a very good lunch there in an outdoor cafe.

    On to the Stubai Valley. A friend of Carol’s had been here which is why we chose this location for hiking. It’s only 10-15 miles south of Innsbruck so a short ride. Outrage new apartment is in the small village of Mildred, right next to Neustift which is the “big” town in the area, population ~5,000. A great accommodation again, we have really chosen well, so far. On the 2nd floor (3rd in US) but lots of room, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, kitchen with dining area and 2 balconies. Beautiful views from every room and the decks. We are very happy.

    “Nested” (unpacked and figured out how everything works) and a glass of wine from our host, then out for a walk. The Stubai Valley is a wide valley about 20 miles long with the Alps rising steeply on both sides. It is spectacular! There are 30+ glaciers and 109 peaks around 9,000ft in the area. Lots of cable cars to take you up to hike at different areas. Trails everywhere. A hikers paradise. I feel “at home”. 😀. Dinner at a lovely little town square restaurant in Neustift and home for some downtime. No Netflix on TV. 😫.
    Read more