Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Vienna, Austria Day 38

    June 2, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 79 °F

    We decided to go out for breakfast this AM. Found a cafe, one of the dozens nearby, and had a good breakfast that we did not make ourselves. I think that is only the second time on this trip that I had breakfast out. No dishes to do! 😂.

    Next to find the Hop On Hop Off bus stop. The task proved to be a bit of a challenge but we “won” in the end. 😂. Spent the next 2-3 hours riding around Vienna, seeing the sites, and listening to a commentary on the history/fun facts about the city. Highlights for me: the Danube river with the river cruise boats, the old wooden Ferris wheel built in 1897, the number and size of parks on the outskirts of the city, and the seemingly endless street cafes with people enjoying coffee and conversation. A short stop at a cafe for some liquids and planning.

    Off to the Leopoldo museum which was close by. An art museum dedicated to the art of Austrians with a focus on the the Secession movement in the 1890’s, the emergence of Vienna as a major cultural city in Europe. A very good permanent collection with emphasis on Gustav Klimt and other prominent Austrian artists. Their special exhibition was also excellent. Two floors dedicated to 200 pieces of the Wurth collection - a wealthy art collector from Austria.

    A walk back home for “feet up” time before going out to dinner! Beer garden is in fine format tonight - really bad music but, if you drink enough, you probably don’t care! Out to dinner at an Italian place not far away. Good, not great, A slow walk back home enjoying the beautiful weather (around 72) and all the people having such a good time on a Friday night. Another good day!
    Read more