Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    A kaleidoscope of colour and detals

    January 24 in India ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    An incredible mix of colour, details, and textures. India doesn’t stop giving and I’m embracing every moment. . We saw some more of these magnificent mansion for which Chettinad is famous. They were built for the wealthy traders and money lenders and abandoned after partition when the British left. It’s a brutal legacy and heartbreaking to see these once magnificent mansions falling into disrepair. Many are still in private ownership but family infighting means that more often than not they are abandoned and left to crumble.

    I am humbled Buntheit people of India. Especially the women who work tirelessly for little recognition. No health and safety rules and long hours. Tripped over a smouldering stick, was gently scolded and then not allowed to leave until grandma‘s potion applied. I did make them smile too.

    Gate crashed a wedding - got hauled in to have our photos taken with the bride and groom. She looked beautiful despite the tears as she was leaving her mum. They wanted us to join in the celebrations.

    Hopefully we inspired our lovely guide with our own stories. They’re not so different from her own. Had to laugh when we asked to go to a western toilet - on discovering we only needed a pee it was a quick trip round the back of the building. Al fresco and drip dry. Too much information.

    Loved the horses at the temple. Need to look up the name.
    Read more