Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Jodpur - the Blue City

    January 29 in India ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Headed into Jodpur today to visit the Mehrangarh Fort. It is one of the largest in Rajastahn built in 1459 by the Rajput ruler of Rathore,
    clan Rao Jodha, though most of the existing structure is from the 17th century. There are seven gates; the main gate, Jai Pol, 'victory gate' was built by Maharaja Man Singh to commemorate his victories over the Jaipur and Bikaner armies in 1806.

    It is an incredible complex of intricately carved palaces currently undergoing restoration.

    I’m really not loving is the obligatory shopping stop at the end of every tour. Unfortunately I killed the credit card in Jodpur as the obligatory shopping stop involved fabric! Got to check out some fabulous antique fabric after discarding the obligatory tat. Hopefully it will still be fantabulous when it gets home. Not that I need any more fabric! Or stuff.

    Persuaded my guide to take me on an extra tour to the blue city in the old town. It’s very blue. The colours sing and dance with women in bright saris and artfully placed drying laundry. Juicy oranges and reds against the blues and greens. Scrummylicious. More intricate carvings and crazy narrow streets. Old men passing the time of day and children playing cricket Marigold Hotel style. The buildings were painted blue by the Brahmin inhabitants to keep the houses cooler.

    Introduced to the current Maharajah Sidharth Singh who happened to pop by to meet up with old friends and former teacher who took me under their wing. He, and they, were charming. The Maharajah has a great love for the Marwari horses and has a stable full of them. His lIt’s his passion. Oh and Little My came out to play! A wonderful last evening at Rohet.
    Read more