Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day two in Cape Town

    February 18, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Today we have the entire day in the city!
    We wake up a bit later, tired after so many days waking up really early, and we start the day having a discussion with the owner of the hotel because according to him breakfast is not included. Tired of discussing he allows us to have breakfast but we decide that tomorrow we will have breakfast somewhere else.
    We start the day with a walk to the city center where we plan to join a walking tour of the city. We stopped by a market that sells really nice clothes and stuff and we end up buying skirts and souvenirs.

    The tour starts at 11.00 and I find it very enjoyable. There is not much to see actually, the buildings are not so special and the city doesn’t have much touristic attractions, but te guide gives a really nice review of the story of Cape Town describing different places and stories of people who participated to history.
    After the tour we go to see this part of the city that is representative for the collided houses. Here lived colonialists in the past, became after a area where blacks people lived during apartheid and it is today a symbol of equality.

    Free visiting the district we hurry to get to the boat that will take us to Robben Island, the prison where Nelson Mandela spent a part of his detention.
    We manage to eat something before going on the boat.
    In the harbor we spot many seals resting in the sun!
    The boat takes around 20 minutes to arrive at the island. From there we take a bus with a guide that describes the different areas of the island and tells stories about the prison and the time where the island was a place where they sent people with lebbra.
    After the bus tour we join a walking tour inside the prison. The guide is a former prisoner that with a lot of charm and passion tells about his story and the story of people he met in prison.
    I loved the tour and especially the stories of the former prisoner!

    Back in the city we spend the evening in the harbor, taking pictures of the sunset. We have dinner in a restaurant on the sea and the food is really good!
    After dinner we spend sometime in the shops with souvenirs and then we go home walking.
    Read more