Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Powering Up!

    June 16, 2022 in Bermuda ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    After a few lazy beach days and some history we decided to enrol in a 2-day Power boating course. Having enjoyed various forms of boating, we joined the Toronto island yacht club as social members in Spring 2021 with the intent of becoming boating members when the kids got older. The kids are getting older and so it may seem random to spend 2 days in Bermuda learning power boating, navigation and safety maneuvers - this has in fact been in the works for a while.

    The Royal Yachting Association is an international training program (think Red Cross for Swimming). The course was awesome and super informative. My favourite was that the instructor would do a ‘person overboard’ drill if we went too fast without warning the passengers to hold tight. We docked, and docked and docked some more - different conditions and different approaches. We charted a course using traditional navigation techniques and then navigated each other to those places. Although we intend to stick pretty close to boats with GPS.

    For our last full day in Bermuda we rented a Twizzy, which is basically a golf cart that handles like a go kart. It somehow gets around the ‘No Rental Car’ law. Driving the Twizzy on very narrow roads on the left hand side made the driving itself a bit of an adventure. We twizzied to historic St. George’s, caves and a deserted Horseshoe Bay, considered one of the nicest beaches in the world. I ended the day with 2 Eton mess desserts at the Crown and Anchor because they are that good!!!

    Our trip has been a 10/10. We decided this was our favourite sun holiday out of some 15 together. We will certainly be back to Bermuda - and maybe you will join us!

    It is 4PM now. We are at Fairmont’s beach club soaking in the last of the sea air, pink sand and $6 USD cans of Diet Coke. We fly out at 9PM and will be home for when Eleanor wakes up tomorrow on her 4th birthday, which breaks my heart, a little.

    Thanks for joining us in Bermuda!
    Read more