Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Lots of fun in a New York minute

    July 4, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Rochester is home to an awesome National Museum of Play. Yesterday’s highlight was 3 laughter (and tear) filled hours playing at the museum. The remainder was travelling to a Chili’s and cheap and cheerful hotel in Auburn, Massachusetts.

    This morning the pendulum swung from a broken toilet overlooking a Rochester parking lot to a soaker tub beneath coffered ceilings at the Boston Ritz-Carleton. The hotel is adjacent a riverfront park; concierge books outings and each morning at 8:45 my kids go-to breakfast foods will appear in a 600 square foot room to be enjoyed over cartoons while I plan the day sipping freshly squeezed orange juice in a luxurious robe - hotel heaven - we signed up for 3 nights!!

    After a noon check-in at the Ritz we headed to the street to be part of one of America’s largest 4th of July celebrations. We found an ice cream social (free ice cream), a wading pool and carousel. The surprising adventure came when we were suddenly being searched and adorned with all day pass bracelets. While looking for a specific playground we inadvertently stumbled into the Boston Pops festival concert area amongst thousands of people in a celebratory mood. So, we got more ice cream and danced. The day ended with 20 minutes of fireworks. If I am being honest I felt quite uneasy in the park given the shooting that took place this morning in Chicago.

    It is 12:45AM now. Nothing bad happened and everyone is asleep. Tomorrow we have an amphibian vehicle tour scheduled, but otherwise await unknown adventures in Boston. Wednesday will be a beach day in Cape Cod and a visit to Provincetown made possible by high speed ferry.

    Happy 4th of July from the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular!
    Read more