Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Kai (food) Koura (crayfish)

    October 13, 2021 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 8 °C

    No improvement in the weather this morning, and the news headlines were forecasting gale force winds up the east coast of the South Island (just where we are headed!) "Oh well," we thought, "we'll give it a go!" So we did.
    We had intended to take the inland road from Hanmer via Waiau that comes out onto SH1 just south of Kaikoura, however we must have taken a wrong turn (or missed one) and instead found ourselves just north of Cheviot! It was a very interesting (narrow) and winding road, but very pretty scenery despite the rain.
    Once the Hundalee hills were behind us we caught our first glimpse of the sea, and stopped for lunch with the seals beside a particularly rocky patch.
    We carried on into Kaikoura and managed to get out of the very strong southerly wind on the northern side of the peninsula near the seal colony. The rock formations here are fascinating, as is the history of the area.
    We found a food cart selling barbecued seafood, and have just devoured 2 massive patties each - 1 crayfish and 1 paua - for happy hour. Not sure if we'll have any room for dinner!
    Read more