Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    White's Bay

    November 21, 2021 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    After a very peaceful and relatively bug-free night tucked in beside the forest, and a cooked breakfast, we decided to tackle one of the numerous walks that head out from the camp. The Black Jack Loop track is a steady uphill climb through the bush, with the occasional glimpse through the trees to the beach below and Cloudy Bay beyond. Once we got to the ridge we were able to look over the other side to Port Underwood and out to Cook Strait, and could see the North Island in the distance.
    The walk took us a little over an hour and a half, and by the time we returned what had started as low cloud was becoming a light drizzle. As we expected, the tents were all packed up and most of the weekenders had gone, so where yesterday afternoon there were about 2-3 dozen cars parked all around us, this afternoon there was only us and a single campervan left!
    Charlie went out with his fishing rod for a couple of hours, but sadly the only thing biting was the sandflies! Apparently the tide was too low this time, and by the time he returned steady rain had set in so he was soaked through and ready for a hot drink.
    Read more