Satellite
  • Day 37

    Turned left instead of right.....

    October 6, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 22 °C

    Day 33/34
    Eventually arrived home after 24 hrs traveling and 5 weeks away.

    The journey back started Thursday morning (UK time)- woke feeling dreadful: full of a cold, sinusitis, temp- definitely NOT looking forward to a long haul flight feeling like that😳.

    Said a sad sad goodbye to Saddleworth and our family. Very sad to be leaving but knowing it was time to go home as I was finding myself slipping into Oldham speak 😳. Thank you Simon and Hayley for your amazing hospitality and for taking time out of your day to fight with the traffic to take us to the airport.

    So after traveling over 1000kms what are our memories of England: a mish mash of motorways criss crossing the country, very narrow roads and laneways, parking in either direction on the road, football madness, awesome country pubs, milkman who deliver milk in bottles to the door and of course fantastic times with friends and family.

    After dosed myself up with drugs at Boots we settled into Singapore Airline’s lounge with a glass of pink champagne and bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes 😜 waiting for the first leg of our flight.

    On boarding we turned left instead of right and was shown to a little pod that was to be home for the next 14 hrs: jacket taken and hung up, huge leather seat (which opened into a bed), full sized cushion and more storage space than I knew what to do with. Settled in, legs stretched out, glass of champagne in hand, waiting to take off thinking this might just make flying whilst unwell bearable. Started the marathon movie session with a Singapore Sling -would be rude not to given we are flying into Singapore- and the noise cancelling earphone were awesome.

    Lunch on white linen table cloth with linen napkin, cutlery, crockery 😳- smoked salmon starter, roast chicken then hazelnut ice cream, with glass of bubbles.

    After dinner laid out the bed and settled down with pillow and dooner to finish the movie ‘in bed’.

    Breakfast of fresh fruit and crepes with coffee in a mug before landing. Never has a 14 hour flight passed so quickly.

    Arrived in Singapore Friday morning (local time), quick shower to freshen up and then relaxed in the lounge whilst waiting for the final leg of our journey.

    Business class on this leg of our journey took over the upper level and was not quite as personal or as posh, we were definitely spoilt during the first flight, but comfortable just the same and we finally arrived in Melbourne Fri night local time and with a great drive home tucked up in bed before midnight.

    It’s been an awesome 5 weeks and now to save for the next adventure.
    Read more