Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Dinan to Planguenoual

    September 10, 2017 in France ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Regretably, we left Dinan after breakfast this morning. It's a town we would come back to because it is so charming and filled with history.

    Saturday night was the only night that dinner was 'on your own.' It was a welcome interval for us. We ate more simply, just pizza and a small green salad. When we got to the pizza joint we were only the second of two tables. By the time we left, the place was really jumpin with young singles, families and children. We found lots of people on the streets of Dinan that evening around the local theater. Very nice..

    We head to the next hiking spot, which is a beautiful bay on this Emerald Coast of Brittany. The sun is shining and it's just a lovely walk. There are almost no people on the trail at this early hour on Sunday. We sit a nest of cormorants on the rocky slopes leading down to the sea.

    Lunch is a picnic on the grounds at Fort de Latte overlooking the bay. The chateau and the fort are privately owned by a branch of the royal family of Monaco. The fort which dates from the days of the Viking raids was returned to the family after our was decommissioned as a military base. They were required to open it to the public. Entrance fees are used for maintenance. This private/public partnership seems to be working beautifully.

    After lunch we depart to a sorry hike to an overlook and bird sanctuary. Puffins are reputed residents although we didn't see any. No matter, its lovely.
    Read more