Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    All Around the Block

    September 15, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Friday begins with a very nice breakfast. There are four other guests but they are finishing their petite dejeuner and leaving. We enjoy a good start to the day and a chat with Jeanne Etienne who wants to make sure we have a good 'programme' for the day. We do, so we set off around 10 and head toward the Seine across the Pont St. Michael to Notre Dame, majestic and familiar at the same time.

    There's a young couple in the plaza posing for their wedding photos. They have a make-up assistant, a photographer and a 'producer' of sorts who holds the lighting panel. They've also hired the guy who feeds the pigeons. The birds flock to him and then he moves over to put crumbs in the girl's hand. The pigeons swarm all over her dress. Later he drops bread on the groom's head. The groom picks up the girl, the birds cover them both and swirl around them. She is wearing excellent sparkly shoes and the are smiling together. A real Hollywood moment on video. Really charming to watch them.

    Later we visit Hotel de Dieu, a 14c hospital now serving the poor of Paris. I stayed there six years ago in their hotel for families of patients. When the rooms are not full, they will rent to tourists. A great address to have on the I'lle de la Cite..

    We stay on our feet all day exploring the Latin Quarter, The institute of the Arab World designed by Jean Nouvel (very modern, good view from the roof). Then back over the bridge to the new Opera de Bastille, then home. Nous on fatiguee en extremis.

    Pasta for dinner in the 'hood, served by a guy from Palermo. He's funny and nice and loves it that Bill orders a beer. The servings are pretty robust, as is the shared salad. We can't finish everything so we just head home and pass out.
    Read more