Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Honeymoon Apartment

    October 9, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 66 °F

    Arriving in Monterey about 11 AM, we first went to our first apartment. I had rented it a few weeks before we were married on June 16, 1972, and immediately after our wedding at the Presidio of Monterey Base Chapel, we moved in. I was surprised today to find that we were able to take photos inside. A workman named Joe was refurbishing the apartment in preparation for new renters, and he showed us around. then we took pictures on Franklin Street and in the neighborhood. Troia's grocery store is still there, but it is no longer owned by Mr. Troia. He was a Portuguese gentleman from whom Glenda would buy one-fourth of a pound of ground beef per day so that we could survive on a pre-packaged casserole mix called "Hamburger Helper." Mr. Troia must have known that we were a poor, young Army couple, because I'm sure that he was overly generous in measuring one quarter of a pound. My salary was $288.50 per month, and rent on the apartment was $165 per month. I don't know how we made ends meet. We went down to the Coast Guard Pier and took photos of the sea lions. We had no money for trips or entertainment, so on week ends we would walk down to the pier to sit and watch the sea lions and the sea otters for hours. There are far fewer sea otters here now. Some theories say that the fecal material of cats washed into Monterey Bay in the sewage, and that a virus has killed the sea otters. Whether this is so, I can't say. I only hope that they will return.

    We got a pizza from Gianni's brought it back to the room at the Colton Inn next door to the library, and finished the Hartford Pinot Noir. While we were eating our pizza we watched on television the presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.
    Read more