Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    At the Colton Inn

    October 9, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    We chose to stay at the Colton Inn just next door to the Public Library in Monterey. This motel is neither the newest, nor the finest inn in the city, but we chose it for its location. It is not far from our old apartment, and it allowed me access to the library. With little money during our first year together, we would often go to the library to read or peruse the newspapers. We did not have the resources to subscribe to a newspaper, and we could not afford a television. I remember following the publication of the New York Times articles by Daniel Berrigan. Later on, those articles were published in a book called "The Pentagon Papers," showing the duplicity of the U. S. government in selling a war in Southeast Asia that the Army was training me to fight. I remember reading about Richard Nixon as the Watergate accusations emerged. I remember folding up a newspaper, walking over to Glenda in the library and whispering, "The President of the United States is a criminal."

    We wandered around downtown and found some of the old buildings we love. We used to dream about one day having a home of our own, even nicer than the huge old Spanish mansions we saw on Alvarado Street, on Calle Principal and on Fremont Street. Now those houses don't appear so large or so grand, but, of course now we have our own lovely home. But these memories are indeed precious.
    Read more