Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Models of Civility

    October 8, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    In Toyko people just follow the rules. In crowded malls the traffic flow is orderly with everyone keeping to the left and not bumping or shoving each other. They all wait quietly in line, even for hours. No one yells or plays music loudly in public spaces.

    All day yesterday and today we probably saw over a thousand young children but I did not hear one child crying, having a tantrum or being disrespectful in any way. They stayed with their parents who were very attentive and engaged with their children. The children has no a cell phones, but they did have their parents’ undivided attention.

    Everyone smiled at us and the port security guards made a point to ask us if we had enjoyed our day and where we had been. When we left the museum, the young people working inside and outside thanked for coming and asked us if we had enjoyed ourselves. Can you imagine a security guard bowing and smiling as he asks you to empty your pockets?

    We have heard that from an early age Japanese children are taught to be neat and to clean up after themselves. In school they cook their lunches and then they clean up and wash the dishes. This culture of responsibility and graciousness begins very early with the young children and is pervasive throughout society here. Civility is the norm here. How refreshing!
    Read more