Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    The Big Picture

    October 18, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    If one were looking for a place to live, he would be hard pressed to find a better place than Kagoshima. This area not only has a rich history, it has one of the most varied economies in Japan. Rich volcanic soil grows record levels of produce and livestock for the Asian market. Access to the ocean provides seafood for all of southern Japan. Careful to husband all renewable resources, local industries harvest trees from the deep woods carpeting the multitude of nearby mountains and islands. Perhaps most importantly, all of these assets combine to assure that tourism is among the major concerns in Kagoshima Bay. Good highways and airline service, along with Japan’s famous bullet trains make all of Japan’s major cities accessible.

    After looking intensively at the history and economy of this area we had the opportunity to go to an observation point high above the city. It is difficult to take in all of the potential, much less all the beauty of Kagoshima. I leave this place somewhat embarrassed that I had not previously given the city of Kagoshima much thought. After being here, though, I will long remember this magnificent city and its remarkable people, both past and present.
    Read more