Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Kings Canyon

    August 26, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    What a day! Kings Canyon was such a surprise.
    Left our AirBnb and drove north through about 60 miles of orange and almond groves to Kings Canyon NP for a full day.
    Started in Grant grove and saw General Grant and climbed and walked through other fallen sequoias. This park just feels different than Sequoia. More boulders. Greener. Much more rocks. Even at the beginning. The further you go through the park, the more faces of it you see. The canyon and 12k foot granite faces to rivers and pine forest. It felt like ever 20 minutes was a new chapter of this book.
    Maybe the biggest surprise was Hume lake. Which is home to a year round non profit Christian camp. Like a young life camp meets camp silver beach on steroids. This hidden gem in the middle of no where. We grabbed lunch and took off for Roaring river falls, which is still pumping from the nearby alpine peaks and Mt. McKinley runoff. Took plenty of time to take it all in.
    Worth it just for the car ride itself. The most stunning drive I’ve ever taken. Photos don’t do it justice. But lots of narrow roads and steeeeep cliffs make car sickness a real thing. Thank god for dramamine! This day delivered in spades.

    If you are ever out this way. Kings Canyon is a must see! Yosemite tomorrow!
    Read more