Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Auf Wiedersehen Berlin, Ahoj Prague!

    June 8, 2016 in Czech Republic ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Today was another driving day, so we needed to meet at the coach at 8.30am. I was woken by my roomies at around 8am, to realise I had no voice from the night before's festivities. It slowly came back to me as I got dressed and packed, but with no time for breakfast I headed straight for the bus.
    Today my bus buddy was Jorge, but we mainly slept (and I wrote my blogs).
    The first drive was around 2 hours, and our first stop was Dresden, a small german town, for lunch.
    Dresden has a population of only around 500,000 people. Back in 1945, 1300 bombs were dropped in the town, completely flattening it. This happened only 9 days before the end of the war. The allies knew that the town was helping the soviets, hence the air raids, however there was a lot of controversy over it as they knew the war was soon coming to an end.
    We jumped off the bus and Tamara took us on a short work around and told us more about the history of the town. We then had some free time to find somewhere for lunch. We hilariously found a restaurant called Ayers Rock. Yes, we came all the way to Germany to eat in an Aussie restaurant. Jacinda, Terryanne, Ebony and I found a table and had a bite to eat. The food wasn't really 'Australian', more just Australian animals, kangaroo, crocodile etc. It was ok, exciting more for the novelty of it!
    We headed back to the meeting point to meet Tamara who then took us back to the coach.
    We had another 2 hour drive and then headed into Prague.
    Jo dropped us off and Tamara took us on a 2 hour walking tour of this beautiful city. The buildings don't look real, it looks like a movie back lot with painted backgrounds.
    We also got to walk the Charles Bridge, the most famous bridge in Prague. There are statues all the way along of different saints and rulers, there is one that you are supposed to touch the dog at his feet for luck.
    We had some free time to explore the square, so a few of us headed in search of these donut cones we'd heard about. To be honest, it wasn't as amazing as I'd hoped... The donuts, whilst extremely cinnamon-y, were kind of hard, not soft like I'd expected. Still good though!
    We finished our walking tour and jumped back on the coach to head to our hostel. This was another 'Plus' Hostel/Hotel, they're quite nice.
    We found our rooms, laid down for about 25 mins, then headed to the restaurant for our included dinner.
    From there, a group of people decided to head out, but T and I stayed at the table and had a bit of a chat. Before we realised it was nearly dark outside. There was a group of peole outside, so we headed over to join them and grab a drink. We met a American called TJ. He was from Idaho and we quizzed him about gun laws and Donald Trump... He gave all the right answers haha!
    The bar closed and we all headed to our rooms to bed!
    Read more