Satellite
  • Day 24

    Bonjour Paris

    June 24, 2016 in France ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    It's fairly safe to say some of us weren't feeling spectacular today as we boarded the bus at 8am for the final part of our tour - Paris, we're coming for you!
    Swiss Alps to Paris was set to be our longest drive yet, so the stops were short and uneventful, and we ended up checking into our hotel at around 7. I was with Terryanne again, and I had a quick shower before we headed down for our included dinner at the hotel at around 8pm. This was a fun one, with cheese and champagne, snails and chicken (no, I did not try the snails!)
    Most people decided they wanted to check the Eiffel Tower off the list straight away, so Terryanne and I decided to run up to our room and get organised, then met Alli and Alyx in the lobby to catch an uber there.
    The drive was entertaining - I don't think any of us could actually believe we were in Paris. And then there it was...
    We thanked our Uber driver and jumped out of the car. This is where we really had our 'Oh my God' moments. For Alli, Paris is what this whole trip had been leading up to, so she was stoked. Terryanne and I had been more excited for other places, but now that we were standing under the Eiffel Tower... This was something else... I don't think I can really put words to the feeling, only that I felt the same back in 2009 when standing by the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. Just and overwhelming feeling of "Holy crap - I'm really here!"
    We decided to head up, and there are 2 entrances, stairs or elevators. We intended on finding the elevators but all of a sudden, here we were climbing up 600 stairs. Extremely exhausting, but so worth it. What a view! And we were ON THE EIFFEL TOWER!!!
    It was dusk when we arrived, so the sun had set once were up there and we got some great views of the city lights. We bought some souvenirs at a shop inside, and eventually decided it was time to head back down (thankfully by elevator this time).
    We decided it would be easier to uber a little bit away from the main area, so we walked along the river, crossed it, took some more photos then ordered it.
    We had an awkward moment where we almost got into a random persons car, thinking it was our uber (whoops!), but were soon on our way back to the hotel. I think we got in around 1am.
    Read more