Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23–24

    ferry to porto torres

    October 8, 2023, Western Mediterranean ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    after some mcmuffins and a tour around the port of toulon, i said goodbye to nico and headed down for the port. while going through security checks, my knife (that i had forgotten about) fell off my backpack and was found by one of the staff a few moments later. had to leave it there after signing some document, but they were cool about it.

    i was the first foot passenger to board the ferry, immediately started making tuna wraps on the upper decks. i wanted to sleep outside and found a nice, decently quiet spot at the rear of the top deck. had to abandon it at 1 am because it got (expectedly) wet. after a stop-over in ajaccio, the ferry arrived at noon. oh yeah and there were a bunch of dolphins jumping alongside the ferry while we were entering porto torres, that was tight.

    got off and spotted a lidl after a bit of strolling, realizing i had bought way to much shit in france thinking it would be more expensive here. got a baguette and some grapes and devoured them at a nearby trainstation along with a wheel of camembert. after an hour, one of the two daily trains arrived. the ride was not the most comfortable, but i ended up in oristano a few hours later, around 5:30.

    i had planned to go to a campsite to spend the first night and to make some plans for the next days and weeks, but generally, i was here because of a surfing school that wasn't far away, but not in walking distance either. the bus that was supposed to take me to the campsite, or rather the bus stop, was nonexistent, so i headed for the comfort and the wifi of a mcdonalds i had spotted on google maps.

    arriving there, i was just sitting down at an outdoor table, when another traveller-looking chap there started to strike up a conversation. i came to find out that his name was chris, he was from germany and had been on the road for 4 years now, currently with his caravan camper, herr schmidt. he proposed to take me to his parking spot, saying there would be good spots for me to camp nearby. out of interest (and, quite frankly, desperation), i agreed.

    after he had finished his meal, we went shopping at another lidl and then started driving to his place. he was super talkative and we had some good deep talk about travel, friendship and relationship right off the bet. i also came to find out that chris was 41, and not in his late 20s, as i had expected. he had been in sardinia scince december of last year busy fixing mr schmidts water damages. he knew almost everyone in the small town we were in.

    we arrived, exchanged numbers and i set up my tent. just a couple of meters away, about two dozen motor homes were parked next to some hot springs on the river shore. had some dinner in the very homely caravan and went to sleep in my tent after my weekly check-up with lilly.
    Read more