Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 168–170

    byurakan

    March 1 in Armenia ⋅ ☀️ 5 °C

    said goodbye to uyiun again, checked out and took a minibus (the short distance wouldn't have been worth the hassle of hitchhiking out of the city) to a village up on mount aragats. the bus ride was a bit stressful and crowded, but i won't complain for 90 cents. got a bed at the guest house and went for an evening walk before sun fell. i wanted to reach a big radar dish nearby, but the path there ended on some farm and it got dark already.

    the next day, i went on a day hike up to some fortress ruins, which proved to be much more challenging than anticipated. the majority of the 20kms were either off path through brambles and bushes, on private propery, climbing up canyons or walking through knee deep snow. i was pretty crushed when i was walking back, but then a guy working on his roof shouted at me to come and gave me coffee and some sweets. he spoke great german and was working on his own holliday rental, so if you ever need accomodation there in the future, wahan is your guy.

    i also have to mention the local supermarket. it was like walking into someones home, where some products were displayed on a couple of shelves. oh, and most people in armenia assume that i'm russian, so i was able to stick to priviet and spasiba instead of armenian.
    Read more