Satellite
  • Day 8

    Day 6, Saturday May 14

    May 14, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    White Sands National Monument

    White sands was about 1 hour away almost 2 hours away on Saturday after a relaxing morning we drove to White Sands. Stopped at a museum on the side of the road called myspace murals museum. Nothing much to see but the woman who is working there was quite entertaining. She really liked to talk she told us to ask her questions and she would come to help but it ended up that NE corner we went around she was standing there to tell us what she knew

    White sounds was incredible it was like snow. The sand is white because it is made out of gypsum not silica.

    The sand is very fine and soft and very clean. The winds apparently always come from one direction. They build picnic tables with a permanent wind break.

    As we drove in the dunes were small and there was lots of scrubby plants and grasses.  But when we were further in the flora disappeared . The whole Road wasn't actually paved, the pavement stopped about 5 minutes and became a gravel road but you couldn't tell it was gravel - it looks more like a winter Road covered in snow and it was obvious that they had to bring in plows to keep it clear because there were sand banks on the sides of the road.

    We went for a walk on the dunes and it was actually quite surprising how cool the sand was for being out in the sunshine. As you stepped down into the sand it was even cooler.

    Families go and they bring their sleds and they slide down the sand dunes like you would hills covered in snow. The woman back at the space murals Museum told us that even though the sign say don't take any sand away, she says years later you're still getting sand out of your car.

    On the way home we stopped in Las Cruces did a little shopping and had dinner at Olive Garden got home about 9.

    Radio Truth or Consequence Las Cruces FM 98.7
    Read more