Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8–12

    5 Days in Koh Ta Kiev

    March 24 in Cambodia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Spent the last few days in an idyllic remote island in southern Cambodia called Koh Ta Kiev. Jodie is volunteering here as a yoga teacher here for 3 weeks, which means we get free accommodation and she gets
    free food. I am staying for 8 days total (until Monday) and then heading to Kuala Lumpur as I have some exams to do which needs good WiFi. We will meet again after she has finished her teaching.

    Really nice beach right next to the hostel and optional daily activities (e.g. snorkeling, cliff jumping) to keep everyone entertained and a basic gym area which I use in the morning whilst Jodie teaches. Also been a good time for me to do a lot of reading!

    Have met some really great people here, there is limited WiFi and no service so most nights are spent playing cards together which has been fun. Also no roads on the island so you need to trek through jungle to get to the other side which is a sweaty walk.. Have been told its very like the film 'The Beach' (haven't seen it). Has been a good opportunity to switch off for a while.

    Took a bit of time to get used to the heat (it's very humid at night and only drops to ~30 degrees at the coolest point of night) as there is no A/C or fans (see humble accommodation pic above). Huge tropical thunderstorm last night, probably the biggest/loudest I've ever heard. Luckily our hut keeps the water out!

    Not the idel destination for bug haters either! I have a lot of mosquito and ant bites despite my best efforts.

    Haven't been using my phone much so not a huge range of photos, will try take some more and add today.

    NB we did also go to the killing fields in Phnomh Penh but didn't want to take any photos as it felt disrespectful.
    Read more