Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Rivaz 10 miles

    August 23, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    For complicated reasons today was a bit different. We walked the next 10 miles of the Via and then got the train back so we had 2 nights in the one hotel. The first time in the last 6 weeks that I have stayed more than 1 night anywhere.

    First we opted for the hotel breakfast but as this cost 15SFr each we had to go some to justify the cost. Took an hour and we did our level best.

    Felt really strange to start walking without the big bag. Could really get used to it very easily. Very gentle walking along the lake-side, stopping repeatedly at benches when they were in shade. Very chilled out but it seemed to take ages to cover just 5 miles for the first half. And it was anything but chilly. You might have thought that the lake would have kept it a little cooler but it didn’t seem to.

    Despite passing many restaurants full of folk enjoying fancy lunches we settled for pilgrim fare of tart, bananas and water from a supermarket. At 5SFr probably better value.

    In the afternoon the route headed up the terraces for even better views.
    Lovely air-conditioned train back to Lausanne. Spot of sight-seeing up the tower of the cathedral and back to the hotel.

    After 6 weeks virtually tee-total it didn’t take long to fall under Glynice’s influence and have a couple of pints of lager for tea together with some sort of Swiss tapas. So much better than last night. Might get used to it I suppose.
    Read more