Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Territet 11 miles

    August 24, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ 🌙 28 °C

    After stockpiling another 15SFr breakfast it was off to get the train to where we walked to yesterday.

    Sweaty hoof up the slopes beside the vines and a very pleasant, if hot, walk along the terraces. Dropped down to the lake-side at Vevey where we have tonight’s hotel. Left the bags at the hotel, (getting a complementary glass of wine as we did so), bought 6 litres of water to make up for what we sweated in the morning, a couple of bananas for lunch and wandered along the lakeside, feeling like we were off on a holiday stroll. After a couple of hours very pleasant walking, checking out the big fork, Charlie Chaplin’s statue and Freddie Mercury’s statue on the way, we reached the station at Territet. Train back to Vevey.

    The reason for all this faffing is because I had originally planned to have a rest day in Lausanne to let Glynice talk for a day uninterrupted by walking, and then have two 15 mile days. Decided we didn’t need the rest day (she is more than capable of talking and walking at the same time) and we could spread the distance out into 3 short days. But the hotels were non-cancellable so they couldn’t be changed. Makes sort of sense I hope.

    Hoping that today is the last of the very hot days. Forecast tomorrow is a max of 29C, dropping on Saturday to a max of 21C. By Monday the max is a scarcely believable 16C, colder than Edinburgh. Cooled off this afternoon with a dip in Lake Geneva. Portobello beach it wasn’t. Much less sand but a shade warmer.

    For dinner tonight we checked out the restaurant attached to the hotel but couldn’t cope with the prices. A pizza for two coming to £45 or about £30 each for pasta. So off to the local supermarket for a Bonnie & Wild type of offering. Not at all bad for £35 including a couple of beers.
    Read more