Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Melaka - 1st Full Day of Wandering

    December 12, 2022 in Malaysia ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    Oh my ears and whiskers, this is much better.
    From the cold and rainy, monsoon-drenched north, it's lovely to be in the typically tropical south of Malaysia.
    Melaka (local spelling) is a noted UNESCO World Heritage City. As a result of what appears to be continual intermixing of races and cultures, and following the influence of several colonising nations, including Portuguese, Dutch, Chinese, British, Malaka retains a wonderfully rich cultural heritage that's evident in the architecture, food and generally encompassing feel to the place.
    I'm enjoying it here.
    Melaka is a very 'walkable' city, especially in the hub centred on Town Square. Overall, there's a very strong (if not to say overwhelming) Chinese influence currently. However, the Dutch flavour to much of the riverside architecture, which is pleasingly 'funky' for a European visitor such as me.
    I'm staying at a very Bohemian guest house that my Lonely Planet guide used to call The Riverside Guesthouse, but is now called 'Vspace': uber cool with hi-tec pods to sleep in and exposed brickwork on most of the walls. I could fit in here for a while.
    Read more