Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Transiting Through Singapore

    December 15, 2022 in Singapore ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    What an absolute pain it was to get into Singapore from Malaysia. Whatever could have gone wrong, did go wrong. The bus journey was actually okay-ish (if I forget the bad start with a surly taxi driver). The bus was comfortable and the driver stopped for a comfort break. All was reasonably fine until we hit the border with. Singapore. Passport control wasn't too bad but the online Singapore Arrival Card and Health Declaration Submission was an absolute nightmare. The driver had promised to wait 45 minutes for us on the other side of the border to compete the journey into central Singapore. 1 1/2 hours later and with lots of people getting help from the border guards, the bus had long gone and we were stranded.
    Luckily, a kindly bus inspector took pity on us and directed us to another bus company that agreed to take us onto the city's bus terminus. Relief !
    Eventually found the place where I was to stay overnight, but the staff were nowhere to be seen, so I went off to explore and grab a few shots in the afternoon, get fed, and take more photos in the evening.
    Singapore is certainly impressive, especially at night. The streets are clean as a new pin, the Mass Rapid Transit network (MRT - their equivalent of an underground system) is efficient, fairly logical and reliable.
    Tired today though. I'm actually looking forward to the flight to Jakarta tomorrow - didn't think I'd hear myself saying that after an earlier brief visit.
    Anyway, temples and beaches beckon, so there are wonderful things to look forward to.
    Read more