Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Day 32 - Maine-ly Rain

    October 9, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    One more big push and we would have made it coast to coast. Just a six hour drive and three new states to go.

    We started the day with another big breakfast, this time from Denny's. It was very similar to IHOP and Alice and I both had the vegetarian omelette with hash browns. Similar with taste and satisfaction too and we were now ready for the drive to come.

    Before too long we crossed into Vermont and we both noticed the density of trees increasing and with that the variety in colours of foliage. From bright reds to pale greens to strong yellows and everything in between. It was overcast and felt like an average autumnal day, and yet, whether looking out to a valley of multicoloured trees or appreciating a singular tree in a front garden with orange leaves, the beauty of this effortless display made it feel special. Unfortunately it began to rain about an hour into Vermont and did not let up from there. We were still able to appreciate the views through the rain until New Hampshire and then even the rain got in the way. It just got harder and more intense the further we drove and made driving quite difficult at times.

    We reached Portland by the evening and we quickly dashed from the car to get all the luggage in our accommodation before getting drenched. We popped out and found a local bar. They had a pub quiz on and Alice and I decided on just eating and drinking. We assumed there might be US specific questions and before long there were questions about quarterbacks from 1983. We were happy with our decision. We returned for the night and watched the Second Presidential Debate. Alas, more questions asked without answers attempted...

    Song of the Day:
    The Beatles - Rain
    Read more