Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Day 39 - Evoo for you!

    October 16, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    Boston gave us a flavour of Late Eighteenth Century American History. Today we are going further back, to that very first ship that landed... and then decided to move on. That ship was the Mayflower which first landed at what was later named Provincetown in 1620 before the crew decided on moving somewhere less sandy, what we now know as Plymouth.

    It took Alice and I ninety minutes to drive from our motel at the neck of Cape Cod to its tip at Provincetown. We did the whole tourist experience on arrival and visited the exhibition and climbed the many steps of the Pilgrim Monument. It was a nice sunny day but not clear enough to be able to see the Boston skyline. The area is geographically unique and the main through fare Commercial Street is its focus. There are many cafes and tat shops along here and we leisurely worked our way up and down the street. For lunch the pot pies at the Canteen were very nice. A few hours had passed and we drove back to our motel.

    We booked a fancy restaurant for dinner, Ocean House. We had the set meals and Alice's main was chicken with vegetables and I had the shrimp linguine. On the menu an ingredient in the linguine was 'evoo'. Alice and I puzzled over it and I politely asked the waitress what that was. Without blinking she replied 'extra virgin olive oil'. I was not quite sure if I had made a culinary faux pas or if that should have just been written out in the first place. Either way, in future I will no longer need to query evoo! All three courses were enjoyed thoroughly and we headed back to the motel.

    Song of the Day:
    Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa
    Read more